EV batteries are responsible for storing the energy that powers the vehicle's electric motor, and they play a critical role in determining an EV's performance, range, and overall cost.
In this article, we will explore the different types of EV batteries, how they work, their advantages and disadvantages, and the latest developments in EV battery technology. We will also discuss the environmental impact of EV batteries.
By the end of this article, you will better understand the current state and prospects of EV batteries and their role in the transition to a more sustainable transportation system.
We have split the article into separate sections.
- Battery Basics - The basic concept of a battery
- Cell Chemistry & Parts - Details about the different chemistry and cell parts
- Cell Housing - Details about cell housing like pouch, prismatic, blade, and cylindrical.
- Battery Pack & configuration - 400 volts vs. 800. Cell to module vs. Cell to pack, and more.
- Battery management system - The brain of the battery system
- Thermal management - Why is thermal management essential for performance, and how does it work
- Charging - How charging works
- Cell Balancing - What is cell balancing
- Degradation - What happens when the battery degrades? How to reduce it?
- Manufacturers - What are the largest battery producers?
- Warranty - What kind of battery warranty is common?